Saturday, June 22, 2013

Memorial Day


Over memorial day weekend George and I spent two nights away from the kids in Fredericksburg, TX, which is this cute German tourist town about an hour and a half drive away from Austin.  This was the longest we have ever been away from the kids and it felt like such a luxury to have two full days and nights to ourselves!  One of the goals of our trip was to do a lot of brainstorming, talking, and thinking through our "wish list" for our new house and it felt like a dream to be able to have hours of uninterrupted conversation and thoughts.  Fredericksburg is also known for all their cute shops so we did a lot of walking down main street poking into random stores along the way.  We saw lots of great furniture and art we wanted to remember, enjoyed a few wine bars and ice cream parlors in the middle of the day, and yes, I'll admit that we peeked in a few toy stores too, even though we didn't have munchkins with us.  Throughout the weekend, both George and I commented on how nice it was to be able to walk the whole afternoon or morning without pain in my back or his knee or achilles.  And to top everything off, we had some great meals.  The whole weekend was such a treat!!

 While we were in town, there was also an annual crawfish festival going on.  Neither one of us is that into crawfish so we didn't spend much time over there but we did sneak over one afternoon and had the most delicious beignets.  I said that we were eating them in honor of Ainsley and her love of the princess Tiana who is from New Orleans in the Disney movie Princess and the Frog and makes beignets.... but really I just wanted them!




We stayed at this darling bed and breakfast that delivered yummy breakfast to your room every morning in these little baskets.  Breakfast was always a surprise and so good!  I loved it!





 

It was such a lovely weekend and George and I felt so fortunate to be able to sneak away and to have our kids so well cared for while we were gone.  They stayed with our former nanny, Lucy, and she had their weekend jam packed with awesome activities and surprises.  They had just as much  fun as we did... although Bailey was pretty ready for us to get back because I'm not sure he fully understood why we were gone or where we were.  Still, it was so refreshing to have time just the two of us.  Ahhhh... such a treat!


No comments: