
This was the first year that we didn't travel to see family for Christmas (aside from the first year George and I were married which doesn't really count since we were coming home from our honeymoon on Christmas Eve). Our decision to stay here was made based on my back injury since I'm still not able to sit without pain for more than 30 minutes and wouldn't be able to handle the jostling of a plane ride - pathetic, I know. Anyway, once we committed to being here (and my family agreed to come visit after Christmas) I started getting excited to start our own traditions and not to have to mess with all the mess that comes with traveling.
Things I want to be sure to remember from the day:
- How the night before George and I "planned" how we thought the morning would go, thinking that we would get everyone to eat breakfast first in an attempt to avoid a hungry melt-down. And then how Ainsley was SO excited to open presents that George and I could barely get a cup of coffee. :) (Ainsley jumping with excitement below)
- Ainsley played santa and accurately passed out everyone's gifts based on the first letter of their name. Then she proceeded to open almost all of Bailey's (notice the letter 'B' in the picture below). Bailey didn't seem to mind.
- Ainsley surprised us with several unprompted thank you's which warmed my heart.
- Ainsley showing Bailey how to play with all his toys. She was so excited for him.
- Ainsley's favorite gift was her new cd player. She is over the moon with getting to play and sing her music whenever she wants. "Lets play again really loud!" Although her biggest excited reaction came from finding the jellybeans in her stocking! :)
- How when Ainsley opened the new living room set for her doll house the first thing she asked was if she could make the little girl doll jump on the couch, which is something she has gotten in trouble for lately. She was then playing that the girl would jump on the couch, fall off and then say, "I'm okay. I not get hurt." Ha!
- How Bailey pretty much ignored our tree and the ornaments when we opened the gate Christmas morning. Did we hold our tree captive for nothing!? Sigh.
- George went back to sleep for 2 hours when Bailey went down for his morning nap since we had both been up with Bailey several times the night before due to teething (we think). Exhaustion - just a constant reality of this phase of life.
- How sadly, the day wasn't as focused on Jesus as it should have been. We had planned on making Jesus a birthday cake and being more intentional with conversation with Ainsley... but the presents and exhaustion won. I vow to do better next year.
Merry Christmas!!



No comments:
Post a Comment