Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Bailey's Rainy Birthday Showers!



 For Bailey's 2nd birthday we had an April showers theme!  To be honest, as soon as I found out we were having a baby in April, I knew that I wanted to throw a party like this!  And I figured that I better make it happen before he started having a real say in what theme he wanted his party to be - so this was the year and boy was it fun!  What made it even better was that this year April has actually been a really rainy, drizzly month here in Austin, so I had plenty of inspiration!

The decor....



Sunglasses party favors "for when the sunshine returns"

The kids colored these umbrellas as part of the activity

I made stuffed rain clouds and raindrop garland for the dining room and playroom doorways



Stain glass raindrops for the front door and back doors


Food table

Rain cloud above food table

The yummy treats....

Rain Puddles (blue jello)

Muddy Cupcakes with worms

Thunder Cloud Snack Mix (marshmallows, golden grams, m&ms)

Rainbow Fruit Salad
Nuggets of Hail
Rain Water Drinks
The fun...  One of the activities I had set up was an umbrella coloring station.  The kids had a lot of fun decorating their umbrellas.  I have to admit that I was pretty impressed with how long this held some of their attention, including the birthday boy himself.  And of course it was so cute to see how proud they all were of their creations!













The other activity I set up was rainy day puppet theaters.  I spent way too long making Ainsley and Bailey puppet theaters out of cardboard display boards, but I just couldn't resist.  The kids had a lot of fun playing in them with puppets borrowed from grandma.... but sadly Bailey's theater suffered some damage in all the fun.  But I'm sure I'll get around to fixing it one of these days.  :)








Singing Happy Birthday and Lunch....  Bailey loved all the attention of having everyone sing to him and had a big smile on his face the whole time.  That said, he didn't take one bite of his cupcake.  Oh well.  He loved the blue jello though!  All the other kiddos pulled up "clouds" aka. pillows to sit on and enjoy their lunch and treats.  It was cute to see all the kids huddled around enjoying their treats.












The Pinata... after lunch everyone headed outside to take a whack at the pinata.  After everyone gave it a few good whacks without much, if any damage, George stepped in to take a swing or two to move things along.  After that Bailey got the final hit and all the kiddos rushed in to claim their goodies.  One thing that was odd about the whole experience was that as the kids were grabbing the candy, they all started randomly chanting 'yay candy, yay candy' in a monotone unison.  Not sure what that was all about but it was a little reminiscent of the children of the corn horror movies.  :)












Inspecting for damage

Oops... got distracted

And back, to seal the deal!


Insert the chanting here


Aftermath




Other fun party pics....




The lovely Lucy



Sarah with her sweet girls Charlotte and Lucy

The beautiful Becca

And sigh... when it was done, we were all ready for a long nap!





Thank you to everyone who came to celebrate with us!  You made it such a special and fun day!

2 comments:

Katherine G said...

That looks so fun!! You did such a great job. What a lucky little Bailey! xoxo

Shannon McShane Miller said...

How cute!! I may borrow this idea down the line since I now have 2 April boys!