Me: Ainsley, you can choose to have one m&m now and zero m&ms after dinner (when she normally gets some sort of sweet something) or you can choose to have zero m&ms now and FIVE m&ms after dinner.
Ainsley: She thinks about it for a minute then responds enthusiastically. I choose zero m&ms now and five m&ms after dinner!!
Me: Ainsley, that's awesome! Great choice! I'm so proud of you! That is called delayed gratification and that will get you far in life one day! I'm thinking, wow, I have the smartest three-year old ever! She is so advanced!
Ainsley: Yay! Can I have my zero m&ms now?
Me: Wait? What?
Ainsley: Running over to the m&m bowl. I want my zero m&m.
Then it dawns on me. She thinks that zero is a number of m&m.
Me: No, Ainsley, zero means none. Zero means you get no m&ms now. I can tell she's crushed and she starts to whine again. Ok, I'll give you your choices again. Do you choose to have one m&m now and no/none/zero m&ms after dinner or do you choose to have no/none/zero m&ms now and FIVE m&ms after dinner?
Ainsley: Smiling from ear to ear. I want one m&m now!!!!
Fail. Hmmm...not as brilliant as I thought. :)
3 comments:
hysterical
So funny. Good lesson on the meaning of "zero". :)
So funny. And a good lesson on the meaning of "zero". :)
Post a Comment