Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Fifth Month Snapshot


Estimated Weight: ~14 lbs

Yay - Happy 5th Month Ainsley! I can't even believe that she is this old already! A friend and I were talking a few days ago about how time just goes by quicker once you're a parent and although I'm not sure how that happens, it is so true! We didn't have a doctor appointment this month so her weight is just from our home scale and I was too lazy to try to measure her height.

Developments: Ainsley's big development this month has been rolling from her tummy to her back. She first rolled around 2ish months but this month I think it clicked for her and she now knows she can roll.... and does so when we put her down for bed and she isn't ready yet. This caused some long days early this month as she learned how to fall asleep on her back without a swaddle. But she got it and now we only swaddle her after her dreamfeed at night. She is so close to rolling from her back to her tummy especially when she is reaching for toys so I'm sure that will be soon.

Another big update is that she can now take her pacifier in and out of her mouth with ease. This has probably been one of my favorite developmental steps so far! Other news is that she is finally starting to take longer naps, usually at least one 1.5 to 2 hour nap a day which is long awaited and wonderful for mom!! And as posted on before, after much practice she can now stretch her feet up to her mouth and happily does so all the time!

Ainsley still suffers from silent acid reflux (similar to bad adult heartburn) and this month we switched her to a stronger medicine because we were at the top cap of the allowed dosage for her weight on the other medicine. And again, after a few tough days of adjustment, this medicine seems to be working much better and even though it is thick and cold Ainsley has again learned to slurp it down like a champ!


Likes: Ainsley loves her toys and is pretty independent with her play. If I throw her down on the floor on a blanket and scatter toys around, she is perfectly content to amuse herself for quite a while. Although we have noticed she seems to have a particular preference for her orange and yellow toys.... favorite color already? She has started to become attached to her lovey, clutching it and putting it over her face when she sleeps. It is pretty cute, but already makes me a little nervous that we only have one. Ainsley also loves to read. She has learned to "turn" and/or lick each page and is usually pretty fascinated by the process. Singing to Ainsley is the best way to turn her frown upside down, sneezing more than once in a row makes her coo, peek-a-boo makes her squeal, the flash of the camera usually brings on a smile, listening to Christmas music with her dad makes her chatty, and multiple kisses on her check/neck makes her giggle.

We haven't started solids yet but I can tell Ainsley is definitely interested. She is completely enthralled anytime George or I eat in front of her. I had planned on waiting to start food at 6 months, but because of her interest will probably start slowly introducing things after the holidays.

Dislikes: Ainsley has turned into such a happy little gal - so much different than her first months - but she still grumps about a few things, for instance, when I try to rub lotion on her face she just pouts and squirms and trys to lick me. I wouldn't bother but with the colder weather (Ha! Like 40's! So spoiled!) her lil checks get so dry. She also hates our electric toothbrushes. The sound makes her anxious and wide-eyed. And still, she seems to hate her carseat for any trip longer than 30 minutes. She apparently was never told that she was just supposed to fall asleep in the car because we still have such a difficult time with this.


This month Ainsley seemed to grow up and fill out more than she has before and George and I are both amazed, excited, and saddened by how much of a little person she seems like already! In fact, this month along with several outfits, she outgrew the little quilt that she was given while she was in the NICU (shown above and below). It was made by a northern Californian Girl Scout troop and donated to the hospital to be given to sick babies and preemies. It was in her isolette covering her up the morning after she was born when I went to visit her. It isn't very cute and it's sewen with crooked lines, but it's warm and it was the perfect size and has been on her since the beginning.... and this month, for the first time it no longer covered her toes. I have to admit, when I realized this, it made me cry. It is so funny to me that I can look at this little girl and she can seem so big and so small at the same time.... I guess this is just part of being a mom.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

What a wonderful snapshot of what she's up to these days!

EMU said...

So sweet to read abbout little Ainsley! I'm sorry I missed seeing her (and you) on Tuesday.

Annie hates having her face touched and the electric toothbrush scares her too!

Love these sweet pictures of your A!

Anonymous said...

She is simply beautiful. What a gorgeous combo of you both! Those smiles couldn't be sweeter!