Sunday, May 31, 2009

Garden Club Last Day


This past Friday was my last day of volunteering with East Palo Alto Charter School's Garden Club program. I've spent two years with some of these kiddos so it was sad for me to say goodbye knowing that I probably won't see them again. These 2nd to 5th graders are part of an amazing school that strives to ensure that despite economic and environmental hardships each and every one of them will attend college. Part of the Garden Club crew is shown in the picture above along with Grace, another one of the volunteers.

A few of the other kiddos...



Here are some snapshots of East Palo Alto Charter School's beautiful on-campus garden that is maintained by Collective Roots, a partnering non-profit.... below is the wisteria dome that serves as an outdoor classroom with elementary-aged seat stumps that line the inside walls.





Here is the outdoor kitchen where we are able to prepare the weekly meals practically year round.


Other garden pics...

While my role as a volunteer was to help maintain order and provide direction as our garden clubbers planted, harvested, and prepared yummy meals with organic produce from the garden, each of these kiddos became really special to me. And spending my Friday afternoons with them in the garden is going to be one of the things I miss most about living here.

1 comment:

Louanne said...

I think it's so great that you did that for the kids. I can totally understand why you would miss it.