Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Caroline 11 months



The biggest change in Caroline this month is that about half way through, she started walking!  It was really kind of funny how it happened. I have known this whole month that she was capable because she would take a few steps here and there without realizing it. But then one day it all just clicked and she went directly to taking 10-20 steps at a time!  On Halloween we got the first movie of her walking. She is so proud of herself and she hasn't sat down since. She walks non-stop and has gotten really fast. I love seeing her toddle around but it still surprises me how quickly she progressed.  Ainsley and Bailey both started walking a little younger than Caroline but I remember it being a more gradual progression for both of them, ie. they would take one step and then two or three at a time for several days, and then five and so on.  I remember it taking a few weeks as they transitioned from a few steps to actually walking.  Caroline, on the other hand, went from taking a few steps to toddling across the room in just a few days!!  And she has easily learned how to make transitions like squatting down to pick up toys and standing back up without falling down.  I remember this taking longer for the older two to grasp too.  She is just our quick little gal trying to keep up with the big kids, I guess.  Now that she can walk, she spends most of her day just toddling around the house exploring... usually with something small and random in her hands, always leading with her belly, and making sweet little baby noises and giggles.


Another "point of interest" this month has been Caroline's teeth.  Her poor teeth have erupted in such a random order, beginning with her two bottom teeth, then her two outer top teeth so that she looked like a little vampire.  Then this month, her front tooth on the right side was about to pop through and then she fell face first on one of her toys cutting her upper gum.  It was horrible.  She cried and bleed and her poor gum was purple and swollen for several days.  Her gum also sliced open to expose that whole tooth.  We took her to the dr and they said to keep an eye on it but that everything was fine.  So this month, although she didn't "grow" one of her front teeth, she certainly "forced" it through.  :( 


Other things to remember about our baby girl at 11 months...

  • She has become quite the little pointer and when she isn't walking around on her own, she is adamantly pointing and grunting to where she wants you to take her.  When I get her up from naps, the first thing she does is point to the noise machine so that I will turn it off and then she points to the window so that I will open the blinds and then she usually points to the floor so that I will put her down to play.  Then she always fusses when I take her over to the changing table to change her diaper instead.  Silly girl.  She is so smart though and I love that she knows the routine!
  • This girl loves to eat and tends to favor savory foods over sweet.  Avocado is definitely her favorite food and she will spit out whatever she is chewing if I put avocado on her tray.  She also thinks that she needs to eat whatever any of us our eating and at times this has led to some tears when we refuse.
  • I'm still her favorite but she is definitely liking George more and giving him more snuggles, which I'm happy to see.
  • Adores being outside and now that she is walking she gets to go out more.  Anytime the big kids are outside she stands at the door and watches them.
  • Caroline might be my snugglest baby so far.  She is often content to snuggle on my lap while the big kids run around and play.  She still has a timid personality and always wants to be close when new faces are around.  Even though she is walking around, she doesn't have the busyness of a toddler yet and I am so thankful for that!


No comments: