Saturday, August 10, 2013

Redo - It's a GIRL!!!


A few weeks ago we had our 20 week ultrasound and much to our surprise discovered that we are actually having a baby GIRL!!!  The ultrasound tech was very professional and even though we told her we knew we were having a boy, she waited until the end of the appointment to point out multiple pictures of the baby's anatomy to show us that the baby on the screen was a little girl.  To say that we were shocked is a huge understatement and there was about 15-20 minutes where we were concerned that we had a baby with a Y chromosome and little girl parts.  But soon our doctor came in with my previous blood test results to show that the blood test actually confirmed that we were having a girl.  At the time of the last appointment, George wasn't able to be with me, so I had the doctor write the gender on a notecard and seal it so that we could open it together later.  She read the test wrong and wrote down the wrong gender.  She was incredibly embarrassed and apologetic.  We were just shocked and relieved that our baby was healthy.  And thankfully, everything else during this detailed ultrasound looked perfect!

George and I gave ourselves a few days to let the news sink in before we told the kids.  I'll admit that even though it has been 2 weeks, I still get surprised by the fact we are having another girl.  We had about 6 weeks to get used to the fact that we thought we were having a little boy and imagining what our family would look like with another lil man running around, so it has taken longer than I would have imagined for me to switch gears.  Don't get me wrong, I am so so excited for Ainsley to have a sister and someone to play princess dress-up with and for Bailey to have a younger sister to nurture and protect... and for me to have another baby girl to dress up in sweet bubbles and bows.  :)  But there is a part of me that misses the idea of having a little boy too.


The day of our appointment, Ainsley and I were driving and I tested the water by asking her what she would think about having a baby sister instead of a baby brother.  She said that she was praying to God for a baby sister and that God told her that I already had a baby girl in my tummy.  Wow!  I was a kind of blown away and naively thought the gender switch wouldn't be a big deal for her.  Wrong!  A few nights later we sat the kids down and told them that the doctors were wrong and that we were actually having a baby girl.  At first Ainsley was excited and cheered and then it sunk in that if we had a baby girl then she wouldn't be the only girl and she started bawling that she wanted to be the only special girl.  Oops.  I guess we sold that point a little too well.  But since that moment, she has been happily on board and excited that the baby gets to wear all her old clothes.  She is even excited about the possibility of sharing her room with the baby.  This is one of the many moments that I am thankful for her sweet and generous spirit.  As much as he can express, Bailey understands that we are having a baby and its in my tummy but I think the gender thing is over his head.  Whew - only have one kiddo's disappointment to deal with.  :)

At the half-way mark of this pregnancy, I have thankfully continued to feel well.  I haven't had any of the back/sciatica pain that I had during my pregnancy with Bailey and have been able to continue doing pilates in a modified form.  I do have some soreness and stiffness in my lower back and hips especially at the end of the day but it all feels completely in the range of normal for growing a baby while chasing after two others.  I haven't had any of the scary and unpredictable pain like before and have been able to be pretty active.  I feel so thankful! Here I am at approx. 20 weeks with baby girl!!



3 comments:

Leslie said...

Yay! More pink to buy. It's been a while since I sent the kiddos any "auntie" T-shirts, so this will give me an excuse to do a little shopping! So excited about the new addition!

angie said...

Aaaaah! How crazy that the doctor got it wrong the first time!!!

Pam VS said...

Congratulations!!! The switch gears must have made your head spin but what a blessing she will be! xoxo