Friday, May 11, 2007

Goin' home right quick...

This weekend Johanna and I will be driving to Canadian to see my family for a quick trip. Rob (my step dad) is turning 50 and is throwing a big party, while Ethan (the one on the left below), my nephew turned 8 last Monday and will be having his birthday party this weekend.

It's nice being semi-close to home (it's about a 5 1/2 hour drive) and while it's not a drive I would want to make every weekend, it's nice to know that we could drive to Canadian if we wanted/needed to. I'll miss that when we move to California. But then again when we go to my home town now, we only stay for a couple of days at the most. When we live in California our trips will have to be more deliberate, and therefore, they will most likely be longer. That might be nice.

Oh by the way, the title of this post is not a phrase I would ever say. It's actually a shout out to my dad who, because he's all Texan and has a skewed concept of time, places the phrase, "right quick", on the end of any sentence containing himself as the subject and any verb. For example, he might say, "I'm goin' to feed the dogs right quick," or he could suggest, "Let's run into town right quick," or "I'm drivin' to Oklahoma City and won't be back for three days right quick." It's still a mystery to me how something that will take three days to transpire could be considered as happening "right quick."

-George

No comments: