Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Caroline 15/16 months




Weight:  20.5 pounds (25-50th percentile)
Height:  32.5 inches (95-98th percentile)
Head 17 3/4 cm (25-50th percentile)

(All of these pictures are from our recent trip to Missouri)

The past few weeks in particular have been full of big girl transitions for Caroline.  Of course it makes me a little sad and sentimental but more than anything, I have been excited to see her personality show through.  And I love how proud and grown up she feels when she gets to do these bigger girl things! So overall it has just been a joy to watch!


First, she stopped nursing.  I have been weaning her for what feels like months but at 15 months she was nursing twice a day... once in the am when she woke up and once right before bed.  When she was 15.5 months old I cut out the am feeding and just nursed her at night before bed for about a week and then my milk started drying up and at night she wanted more milk after she was done nursing.  So I took that as a sign and just weaned her completely.  Thursday April 2nd was my last night to nurse her or any baby probably ever.  Kind of sad but we are both ready.  Since then, she has started drinking milk really well which is a blessing and overall it has been a smooth transition.  There have been more emotions on my side than hers for sure which is a good thing.


Second transition this month is that she moved out of her rear-facing infant carseat to a forward facing toddler carseat.  She loves the new view and I love being able to reach back and hand her stuff while I'm driving.  She gets stuck in the car more than the other two did at this age because we are always driving the big kids around.  She is fairly patient but on harder days it is nice that I can hand her toys and snacks and that she can see the TV!  The infant carseat is one of those baby things that we got for Ainsley and then were able to use for all three of the kids.  So, I'll admit that it does feel a little weird to be done with it.


Her last big transition this month was that she dropped her morning nap and now just has a long nap in the afternoon.  This has been a long time coming because for months she has had a hard time falling asleep and/or being inconsistent with her afternoon nap.  I have been especially reluctant to lose it because I cherish that time in the am to get work done.  But it is for the best - she is happier and has been sleeping better in the afternoon and at night because of it - and I am just trying to adjust.


Other points of interest about this phase of her life...
  • Her hair has gotten so long and it grows straight down and covers her whole face if she doesn't have a clip in it.  She has gotten into the habit of sweeping it out of her face with her palm which is really cute to see.  She isn't always very effective at it, but it is still cute.
  • She eats so well and already uses a fork fairly easily.  Prefers to be eating whatever the rest of the family has.
  • George and I are constantly amazed by her vocabulary, which is something that we definitely don't take for granted!  Off the top of my head, she is saying:  outside, stuck, jump-jump (when she wants to go on the trampoline), paci, yum-yum (when she wants something to eat), drink, milk, swing, shoes, owey (when something hurts), baby, backpack (especially when the older two are getting ready for school, she wants to be just like them), poo-poo (when she poops!), no-no-no  (as she does or touches something she isn't supposed to), ipad (as she is shrieking for it!), and so much more.  She adds new words all of the time and George and I are very proud of her because again, this isn't something that we take for granted at all.  I am so thankful that she is able to (mostly) clearly communicate what she wants at times.
  • Loves books more than I remember the other kids.  She wants to read all the time.  She is constantly bringing us books and forcing a spot in our lap for us to read.  And she knows if I'm just flipping the pages but talking to George or the other kids... she crys and whines until I read the actual words.  Ha!  Smart little girl!

  • She has started following the big kids, especially Bailey, into the bathroom when he goes potty and when he is done, she will imitate him.  She stands next to the toilet and holds up her shirt to expose her belly and makes a noise.  Then she walks around and touches the handle like she is flushing.  Then she gets a big smile ans scampers out.  It is hilarious to watch!
  • Loves, loves, loves her babies!  She likes to have more than one around her and often snuggles them and plays with their eyes.  She is so sweet with them.

  • She also loves the ipad.  If she sees it out of the corner of her eye, she automatically starts clamoring for it.  It is so funny to me that she loves it so much even though she has had such limited experience with it.  But man, when she doesn't get it, she can sure throw a fit for it!
  • She still hasn't attached to a lovey, which makes me wonder if it is going to happen.  She just loves her pacis and they have become more of a comfort item for her.  She likes to have one in her mouth and one in each hand and she rubs the ones in her hands on her face when she is tired or sad, like she would a lovey.  So we will see how this plays out.
  • She has gotten really good at climbing which has made my life significantly harder.  She climbs up on the sofas, the kid's stool in the bathroom, up the slide outside, up the first rung of Bailey's bunk bed ladder, and all of it has given me numerous heart attacks!  She cannot be left alone for a second!
  • If I say 'no' or 'eww' to something that she is holding, it is like she takes that as a challenge to see how fast she can run away and stick it in her mouth!  It drives me crazy because she can run pretty fast so by the time I catch her I'm usually fishing the rock, old cracker, or whatever out of her mouth.  Gross!  
  • She isn't as timid as she used to be and has surprised us on a handful of occasions by running off and even being quite brave in new situations.  That said, she is still very cautious of strangers and we haven't been able to leave her at the church nursery yet and she even crys at times when I leave her with our sitter that has been with us since her birth.
  • Still the big kids favorite little person.... Ainsley can now pick her up around the waist and swings her around in a circle and Caroline just squeals and laughs and says 'weeee'... and Bailey said the other day, "I never hurt Caroliney.  I just protect her."  Melted my heart.

Caroline is really at such a sweet and fun age and I just love it!  She is so fun and we adore her!!


1 comment:

George said...

Great post. Can't believe our little girl is not a baby anymore!