One fun/memorable thing that we did this Christmas season was make Christmas cookies. We pretty much do this every year but this year we thought it would be nice to make them and then hand them out to the workers at the land building our new house. The kids jumped right on board with this plan! Here they are working hard at stamping out cookies. I'll admit that it was a little hectic rolling out the dough, keeping them from stamping their cookie out of the middle, helping them pick up their cookie to put on the cookie sheet, re-rolling out the dough, getting the cookies in the oven, trying not to burn them etc. all while keeping Caroline entertained and happy. It was all fun but after these first few pictures, I gave up on trying to capture the moments in an effort to just have fun with the kids instead. But this gives you the gist.
After they stamped the cookies, I let them decorate them with milk and sprinkles and fun holiday candy shapes. This made a huge mess but the kids would probably say that it was the most fun part. I wish I had gotten a picture of how the cookies turned out because they were NOT pretty! They looked very kid-made and hilarious but the kids were really proud of them and they were yummy! After the cookies cooled we divided them into individual bags. Ainsley spent a few of her rest times coloring pictures and cards that we attached to each bag. All in all they turned out really sweet.
Once all of our cookie bundles were done, we went out to the land to hand them out to everyone. It warmed my heart seeing how eager the kids were to thank all the workers and to share the cookies that they made. Naturally Ainsley was bounding all over the place greeting everyone and distributing cookies. Bailey was a getting sick and a little more fragile that afternoon than normal and he was feeling sort of shy. Still, he went up and gave one of his bags of cookies to Pedro who is the mason working on the stone on the exterior of the house. Afterwards as we were getting ready to leave, Pedro came up to me and said in broken english that he would keep the card that Bailey gave him for his whole life because Bailey had made it with his heart. I was touched that the kid's actions meant so much to him and thankful that we had taken the time to spread some Christmas joy especially to these men who are working so hard to make our new house beautiful.
Another December event was mine and George's 9th anniversary on December 16th. Sadly our anniversary often gets overlooked or postponed because of how it falls in the craziest part of December. But this year we made an effort to have a nice datenight to a restaurant that we have been wanting to try for a long time. A lot has happened in 9 years and it is nice to slow down every now and then and reflect on how blessed we have been. It was a sweet night and I am thankful for the opportunity to get to love and be loved by this man.

Caroline was already asleep but the big kids wanted to join us in a picture before we took off for the night. One afternoon the week of our anniversary I showed the kids the highlight reel from our wedding video. Ainsley talks about weddings a lot and she was almost stunned watching it all. She kept saying things like 'wow mommy you look so pretty in your white wedding dress' and 'oh I love your hair. It looks so pretty.' And then she got quiet and it was like she couldn't put it into words but she kept saying 'you just look so different.' I probed a bit asking if it was because of my dress or my makeup or my hair and she said no to all of that but just kept saying 'you look so different and so pretty.' Come to find out that the reason I looked so different to her was because I looked so much younger. Arg! Gee, thanks for pointing that one out Ainsley!

A funny picture taken by the kids. Even though it is blurry, I still like it because it shows we were having fun.
The Saturday before Christmas Ainsley and I went to go see the Nutcracker. She was super excited and I'll admit that I was too. The night before, we opened presents from Papa and Yaya and Ainsley was given this nutcracker ballerina doll. She was thrilled and was so excited to get to bring her to the ballet with us. This day, Ainsley was still recovering from strep throat and I was feeling a bit sick (the next day I was sent to the hospital with the flu!) but at the time it was just a sweet afternoon with my big girl!
Here are a few other fun memories. My gorgeous, curious baby with the Christmas tree.
Bailey's self-decorated tree that was in his room. Notice the fighter jet, the wire hanger, the fishing pole bath toy, the spiderman toy turned ornament, and the mardi gras beads. He was very proud.
My cute boy and his yummy snowman treat.
This girl and her daddy.
Bailey at his class Christmas party. Sadly Ainsley had to miss her party because she was sick. Bailey got to go and then got sick a few days later. Sigh. This was the Christmas of illness. Anyway, here he is being goofy at this class party.
Here he is with his adorable teacher Mrs. Fulmer. She is the best and he adores her but was grumpy at this moment because he didn't get a balloon. Sigh... there is just no winning some days.
Ending on a sweet note with this cutie. Happy December!











No comments:
Post a Comment