This past Tuesday was my birthday which makes me 26... and technically pushes me into the upper 20's category. However, I have no qualms still claiming the mid-20's category at least for one more year.
To start the celebration I was awoken with breakfast in bed... or if the truth be known, I was awoken to shouts telling me to close my eyes and get back in bed. Then a breakfast of homemade buckwheat pancakes with sliced bananas soon followed. Yum! My husband is so good and knows me so well it's scary!
Then, later that day George surprised me with a wonderful assortment of little "birthday" cakes from Satura Cakes on University. Ooohhhh - I was in heaven! He claimed that he wasn't sure which one I'd like best so he choose 6 different little ones instead of one big one and I couldn't have been happier with his decision. Our sampling included Tiramisu, Flourless Chocolate Souffle, Strawberry-misu, Classic Chocolate, Satura Shortcake, and Maple Banana Rama! Yum!
That night we drove up to Berkeley to go to dinner at Chez Panisse, Alice Waters' famous restaurant that is centered around gourmet cooking that uses only seasonal, organic meat and produce that is grown locally and sustainably. She is an amazing woman who has done a great amount for the advancement of California cuisine and responsible eating practices and it was such an honor to eat at her restaurant. Alice Waters is also the creator of Edible Schoolyard, the program that started the movement to incorporate gardens on school campuses, ie.
the elementary school Garden Club program I volunteer at weekly. So needless to say, the food and atmosphere were amazing and it was such a treat for me!
Then... to make sure I was thoroughly spoiled, George took me to a bed and breakfast in the charming northern coastal town of Mendocino for the weekend! The rocky coast and the ocean were so lovely and relaxing and it was so nice to be able to getaway before the craziness of the school year begins again. We had good conversation and incredible food and there wasn't a thing more I could have asked for!
3 comments:
Sounds like a PERFECT day! (and weekend)
Hey Johanna! It is so great to check this blog and get to see how you and George are doing. You look wonderful and sound like you are doing so well -- I hope that we get to see each other sometime in the not to distant future.
Glad you had a great birthday, Johanna. Sorry our card was late -- as usual. :)
I thought about you when we were in Kansas at Russell's parents' farm. You would have LOVED all the fresh veggies.
Hope you guys are doing great!
Post a Comment