Thursday, October 11, 2007

Welcome to Fall


Fall is absolutely my favorite time of year! The leaf change isn't quite as significant here as compared to Missouri or the east coast, but I'll take what I can get. Every now and then I get lucky and catch a random tree covering in vibrant red....and it just takes my breath away! The picture above is on Stanford's campus as you are walking up to the business school.


Speaking of Stanford - they have stolen my husband and won't give him back! Above is how he spends the majority of his evenings, with me in the background watching TV with headphones and trying not to interject comments. He swears that he's working hard, but then I see pictures like the one below from his leadership team and I have to question what he's working hard on. :) (George is the second from the right.)


As for me, after much soul searching, prayer, and encouragement from George and my family, I have decided to go back to school for a degree in Nutritional Science on the path of becoming a Registered Dietitian. I'm doing a distance program (because who knows where we will end up living) from the University of Northern Colorado. The program will be part-time during the school year and full-time during the summer. I'll potentially graduate in 2010. At which, my end goal is to work in or with school districts in the area of nutrition education and community nutrition policy reform. Proper nutrition in schools and childhood obesity is such a "hot button" right now, but once I started doing researching I was horrified at how great the need actually is......and it is one of those things that I can't turn my back on.

Right now I'm also volunteering with several non-profits to get as involved as I can at this point. On a grass roots level, I just started with Collective Roots, http://www.collectiveroots.org/, helping them in their Garden Club and on some marketing/donor relations activities. Then in a broader scope I have been given the opportunity to learn from and work with the American Cancer Society as they lobby for nutrition policy reform in Bay Area schools. I also hope to at some point become involved with Revolution Foods, http://www.revfoods.com/, which through their partnership with Whole Foods has made huge strides in providing healthy, quality, fresh lunches to several northern Bay Area schools.

Oh - I have such a passion for this and could go on and on......but I'll be respectful of your time and end it here....or at least for now. But expect updates! :)

Love you all!!! - Johanna

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Woo, hoo! So glad to hear what the Peytons are up to again. Sounds like you two are staying busy. Johanna, if you run across any healthy food/snack ideas for your nephews in your studies, send them our way. Um, George, you can probably keep your study info right there with you in California.:)
Good luck with your new adventures!Hope you're doing great -- we miss you!

Louanne said...

Yeah for an update! I love the photos and I am so glad to see that things are going well for you. I miss seeing your smiling face on Sundays :) Much love,

Louanne

Anonymous said...

Hello from Missouri.....where our trees are just beginning to turn. Thanks for the news and the pictures---nice arty shot of the leaves on the ground! Sounds like you are both energized by what you are doing. YEA YOU TWO!!!!

Take good care. Much love...we miss you.......Mom