Saturday, August 25, 2007

Not Everything's Bigger in Texas

Yesterday George and I hiked parts of Big Basin Redwood State Park in the Santa Cruiz mountains and had our first taste of the some of the area's old growth redwood trees. The old growth trees are redwood trees (Sequoia sempervirens, to be exact) that survived the mass logging in the early 1900's. These trees are more than 1500 years old and have an indescribable majestic peace to them. We also saw several examples of the 2nd growth trees, which are younger (only 100 years!) and represent the forest regrowing after being harvested.

Here I am at the base of a redwood tree whose truck was hollowed out by a fire. To recover, the trees base will gradually fill in with living bark. We're told the trees are even larger further north, but this is hard to believe.

Other pictures from the hike.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh! I've been there! i loved it. it's so beautiful there.

-rene

Louanne said...

Awesome photos! Miss you.

Louanne

Unknown said...

*sigh* I remember those trees! Aren't they amazing? That's it, we're moving to California now!

Fema said...

Those photos are amazing! I can't believe how huge those trees are, and of course you guys are adorable.